Beaver Builder 'hangs' each time I click save or publish

I can no longer save edits to my posts or pages as whenever I click to ‘save’ changes to a post or page, it appears to be ‘saving …’ but never actually saves. I have been using Beaver Builder lite with Astra theme for over a year with no problem until now. I have few plugins - no new ones - and all are popular, well established plugins with WordPress. All my plugins/themes are up-to-date. I have already tried the troubleshooting solution suggested by Beaver Builder without success, described here: https://kb.wpbeaverbuilder.com/article/522-troubleshooting-beaver-builder-hangs-every-time-i-click-publish-or-save

Sorry I could not find any other recent discussion about this specific problem. Is this something I need to raise with my website host? Many thanks.

Have you checked your max_input_vars value. Adjusting this value may resolve the issue and you will be able to save/use the modules. You might like to check this from Puneet:

And Si Mon also provides a simple way to check: enable the BB debug mode and visit the debug page, it will tell you what max input vars is currently set to, 1000 is the PHP default. However, I have found that 1000 is simply too low. My hosting has bumped the default to 5000 and it seems to be working ok.

Thank you. I will try this now.

Hi Norm. I’ve read Puneet’s article, but as a novice, I’m finding it hard to find the php.ini file in my cPanel. Can you advise? Or I could add the code to .htaccess file, but again, I can’t remember how/where to access it, although I know I’ve used it in the past …

This is likely one that you should contact your hosting support. That’s because increasing the max_input_vars can vary widely. Sometimes you can enter it in php.ini. Sometimes hosting disables that file. Sometimes you have to select it in the php options panel in cpanel, and sometimes the hosting disables that option and makes it an admin only setting. So I would say don’t waste your time… just contact your hosting support and ask them to bump it to 5000 (min).

And did you put BB in debug mode so you can see what you are currently set to?

Hi Norm. Yes, the debug mode page tells me this - PHP Max Input Vars 1000 - so that might well be the problem. I will contact my host as you suggest. Thanks very much for your time.

Hi Norm. Or any other helpful experts. I have isolated the problem to the code associated with embedding a google map on my post. If the google map link/code is not in the post, it saves normally. Otherwise the post will not save. The specific google map ‘embed’ code in my post is:

The problem is occurring while every plugin is disabled, except Beaver Builder Lite.

I did check with my website host and was assured the problem was not anything to do with a mod-security issue as I would be getting an error message if that was the case, and I don’t get any error message. Further I don’t have any problem saving when I create posts or pages, add text or photos, or change my theme or colours.

Where do I go from here? Does this mean I can’t embed google maps on my site anymore? Is this a Beaver Builder Lite problem, a WordPress problem, or do I need to go back to my host?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Add this to wp-config.php

define( 'FL_BUILDER_MODSEC_FIX', true );

It is mod security blocking script tags most likely.

I did check with my website host and was assured the problem was not anything to do with a mod-security

The person you spoke to probably had no access to the logs and was reading from a script.

Thanks. I’ll try this again in the morning and let you know how I go.

Thank you so much. This has fixed the problem quickly. I did try this earlier - as noted in the beginning of this thread - but perhaps I did not past the code in correctly. Very grateful for your time in helping me.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Beaver Builder Hangs during save