Beta test the new Menu module!

The new post modules are live and the menu module is now in beta! http://forum.wpbeaverbuilder.com/the-menu-module-is-now-in-beta/

Thanks Justin & Team.

Been looking forward to this module - it makes things a lot easier in some cases to change something small on a page & has a lot of potential when combined with a global modules thing.

Just played with it a few minutes and figured I’d post some feedback issues:

_______ #1

Changing the background colour in the settings only changes the background colour of the ‘ul’ and <button> elements. It means we can’t set a background colour to be full width for the menu - only the width that the ‘ul’ spans.

Might be worth making the “Background Colour” able to set the background for the whole module row, instead of just the module elements.

_______ #2

When rows are set to ‘content-fixed’ the menu only spans the width of the content container. This means that you can’t get the background colour to span the whole width of the page. Even though the menu ‘li’ items are in the right spots.

It might be worthwhile adding a ‘menu content-fixed’ option to the menu module - so that if the row is set to ‘content-full width’, the ‘ul’ array stays within the alignment of the rest of the page.

That way you can have a full-width row. With a full width column. With zero padding. With a menu module. With a background colour spanning the whole row. With menu links positioned correctly in alignment (under the header logo) and the rest of the content.

That’s all i’ve noticed so far - looks awesome!

Also, just wondering - is it possible to install the beta plugin alongside the live release? It says it shares the same plugin folder name and I have to deactivate/uninstall the live release to test it out.

Can we re-name it or something? Or can it get its own separate update stream or is that not really feasible for what you’re testing with it?

Jay I just rename the folder in my FTP. That seems to work for me.

Justin, I agree with Jay’s feedback.

Also, I noticed that the Menu module adapts the Font settings of the “TEXT” setting from the BB theme customizer. Wouldn’t it make more sense for it to adapt the Font in the Nav Styling of the customizer?

It’s no biggie, I was able to change the font with CSS hero but just found it odd.

[Content Hidden]

Hey Kjetil,

Thanks for trying out the Menu module!

I am looking at both sites on a Windows 7 system, latest Chrome and FF, and I’m seeing the menu just fine. Do you think you could send a screenshot of how it looks from your end?

Ben

@Jay Thanks for taking the time to test this and the feedback!

Might be worth making the “Background Colour” able to set the background for the whole module row, instead of just the module elements.

I see what you mean there, but the issue is that the module margins would be effectively useless in that scenario. I think the better solution for achieving that would be to set the row background color. Does that make sense?

When rows are set to ‘content-fixed’ the menu only spans the width of the content container. This means that you can’t get the background colour to span the whole width of the page. Even though the menu ‘li’ items are in the right spots.

What if you set the background color of a full-width row while keeping the row content fixed?

Thanks again!

Justin

Also, just wondering – is it possible to install the beta plugin alongside the live release? It says it shares the same plugin folder name and I have to deactivate/uninstall the live release to test it out.

Can we re-name it or something? Or can it get its own separate update stream or is that not really feasible for what you’re testing with it?

It has to be one or the other. At some point, I’d like to add the ability to update a live release to beta (similar to WP’s beta testing plugin). Doing beta releases is still fairly new for us, so for now it has to be manual.

@Luis Thanks for the feedback!

Justin, I agree with Jay’s feedback.

Let me know what you think about my response. I’m thinking that can be accomplished in the row settings so we’re not limiting other uses of the menu module’s settings.

Also, I noticed that the Menu module adapts the Font settings of the “TEXT” setting from the BB theme customizer. Wouldn’t it make more sense for it to adapt the Font in the Nav Styling of the customizer?

That’s an interesting suggestion. Since BB content works with any theme, we’ll probably stick to picking up the theme font, but I’ll bring this up with the team.

Justin

@Justin

That’s an interesting suggestion. Since BB content works with any theme, we’ll probably stick to picking up the theme font, but I’ll bring this up with the team.

Yes I see why it would need to be the theme font. I’m just so used to using the BB Theme now that it caught me by surprise. Nothing CSS Hero can’t fix.

Just a suggestion but it would be nice to have the new custom menus in the footer for sitewide navigation. Especially as more and more clients are opting for wide screen no sidebar designs.

Many thanks

Kat

I am looking at both sites on a Windows 7 system, latest Chrome and FF, and I’m seeing the menu just fine.
Here are screenshots from http://www.dolcevita.no/demo1/gardasjoen-sykkeltur/ made inn FF and Safari: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1935377/menu1.png https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1935377/menu2.png And in another page: http://www.dolcevita.no/demo1/gardasjoen-via-ferrata-x2/ (with a hamburger menu button): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1935377/menu3.png BUT: Due to some CDN issues on dolcevita.no I have just migrated the test site, and as mentioned, the same page here looks fine: http://www.in2it.no/demo5/gardasjoen-sykkeltur/ (Even here, though, it's still impossible to select an other menu - just the main menu is available.) Is it possible that the CDN service I've just implemented on dolcevita.no can cause this behaviour? Kjetil

Hey Kjetil,

Not really sure about the CDN issue. Are you still seeing the same thing as your screenshot? What OS are you using to check?

Ben

Yep - I still see the same
(apart from the menu in http://www.in2it.no/demo5/gardasjoen-sykkeltur/ where I downgraded to last stable version to narrow down things)
I work on Mac with FF and Safari. I have also tried in Opera and Chrome. All are latest versions. It looks the same in all browsers.
But - as said - the issue is gone after I migrated the site (to in2it.no/demo5), so if noone else reports anything similar it’s probably not worth chasing daw. On the other hand, if you want me to check out anything more, shout out.
Kj

Someone might have mentioned this already, but we can set the background color of the menu and the Link Background Hover color, but not the color of the link itself.

It looks like the Link Background Hover color actually changes the color of the link itself instead of the hover state as it implies.

Thanks,
Tom

Hey Tom,

There’s actually a setting for Link Color which is working fine. All the hover options are actually applied to the Menu item if you are on that page, e.g., if you are on the homepage, the homepage menu item color and background would depend on the hover colors regardless if it’s being hovered or not.

Ben

@Justin Busa
I see what you mean there, but the issue is that the module margins would be effectively useless in that scenario. I think the better solution for achieving that would be to set the row background color. Does that make sense?

RE: having a ‘background color’ applied to the row.

The issue which arises if you rely on setting the background as a row - is that you cant do some nifty placement of the menu. which is probably THE biggest benefit to having it as a module as opposed to also needing it paired with a row.

For example some layouts could have a background slideshow , with the menu overlaid on top as a ribbon.

Just by adding 2 more settings to the module - you’ll cater to a much wider range of uses.

Add setting: ‘Full width background color’ to be able to make the module 100% width (and control padding & margins for this div)

Add setting: ‘Constrain nav-items to container’ which forces the nav items position to be constrained within the ‘container’ div. (padding & margins have no effect on this)

Hope this helps clarify. it’s still easily changeable with custom CSS - i’m just thinking for the most number of cases you can address without relying on custom css.

Cheers!

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the additional info. That makes sense now.

I’m not sure if we’ll get to it before this launches next week, but I’ve made a note to discuss with the team. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Justin

Hey Jay,

I discussed your feedback with the team and unfortunately, we feel like those settings aren’t something that we could implement for the menu module given that they would break out of the row/column/module convention. If we did something like that to have uniquely positioned menus, I think we would need to consider a solution that would fit well within the current paradigm.

For the time being, it will have to be done with CSS. Thanks again for the feedback!

Justin

If i use the menu module, every menu item has a square, like in a list. How can i disable that?