Can't view content after plugin deactivated.

I’ve seen on the site, and in several reviews of Beaver Builder that if you uninstall, you will not lose your content. For example, here is one quote "With Beaver Builder, if you turn the plugin off, every bit of your content remains without a single shortcode in sight. "

Now if I build out a page with BB and I deactivate the plugin, all of the content I created on that page is missing, if I go to view it. If I reactivate the plugin, then the content appears.

I just purchased, and I have a special circumstance where I need to figure out how to get the content to appear while the plugin is deactivated. It appears I’m using a layout framework (toolset layouts (wp-types.com)) that is not compatible with Beaver Builder. I don’t see this on your list of incompatibilities, but I"m not having any luck getting it to work. I think that if I can build the page in BB, then deactivate the plugin, then I CAN use the two together.

But this gets back to my first point. I can’t seem to create content, then deactivate, and still see the content.

Am I misunderstanding the claim that you don’t lose your content when the plugin is turned off? For example, I built an image slider, turned off the plugin, and the slider was gone.

Sorry for the long note, but I’m trying to get this to work for me before asking for a refund.

Thanks!

Matt

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the BB forums! :slight_smile:

Sorry for the confusion there. What we meant by that was a stripped down HTML version of your layout will be copied to the native WP editor once you deactivate the plugin. It won’t look exactly the same as the layout you did when the plugin was active though.

Based on Justin’s reply on the thread link below, they were able to test BB with Toolset and it worked fine. Are you trying to use BB on Custom Post Types? If so, you’ll need to enable the respective CPT first under Settings > Page Builder > Post Types.
http://forum.wpbeaverbuilder.com/support/q/custom-post-types-filtering-widget/#post-12531

Ben

[Content Hidden]

Hey Matt,

Would it be possible to ask for admin access to the site in question so we can have a look?

Ben

[Content Hidden]

[Content Hidden]

Hi Mathew,

So I did some testing and I must say, I experienced some rather peculiar behaviour. I created a page called BBDannyTest and selected the Post Layout option the Layouts panel.

I previewed the page before loading up the builder and then clicked the Page Builder menu in the WP AdminBar. When I did, the layout changed, no logo image appear instead this was displayed.

Cloudup

I then went ahead and added a Text module to the content area i.e. where the post content would be and added some text. When I published the changes, I ended up with my Text Module being repeated on the sidebar and also where the logo image should be.

However, when I deactivated the BB plugin, the page shown both the BB text module content I added and only in the place I positioned the module.

Cloudup

So I was able to have content I added via BB display on the page, when BB was deactivated. I think and this is only a theory, that the layouts plugin is somehow confusing BB’s page builder and thinking that each layout is a content area.

I could be wrong, as I have no experience with that plugin. I think the best thing to do is contact their support and ask them how these layouts work. Then reply here when you get that information.

Thanks,
Danny

Yes, that’s exactly the behavior I’ve been experiencing. I was hoping that someone on your team there had figured out how to get it to work. I know that Ben referred to a Post where Justin said he was able to get it to work, so I was hoping maybe Justin could chime in.

I certainly can contact support for Toolset Layouts, but I’m not sure simply asking them how the layouts work is specific enough of a question.

Please let me know if you can confer with Justin, per his post above, to see if maybe he has some insight. Alternatively, maybe you can provide some further insights on what I should ask the Toolset Layouts developer, that would be great. If you can’t provide any more specifics, I’ll understand and see what they can figure out by explaining the issue to them.

Thanks for your help.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the detailed info. I’m going to get in there now and do some testing. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Justin

Hey Matt,

Any chance I can get temp FTP access? Definitely something weird going on here.

Thanks!
Justin

[Content Hidden]

Thanks, Matt. I did some testing and am a bit stumped on this one. I don’t use Toolset myself, but I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of other Beaver Builder users using it.

Trying to nail it down, can you maybe see if it works with Toolset and a different theme? Just trying to eliminate the possibility that the layouts-genesis plugin is causing the issue.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes.

Justin

ok, I’ll take a look over the next day or so and get back to you. thanks for helping me investigate.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Just checking if you ever had the chance to check what Justin suggested above?

Ben

yes, actually, I just discovered a resolution the compatibility issue. I do not believe it is a genesis issue, as in all my research on their support site, it seems everyone is having the same problem, regardless of the theme.

here is the Resolution that was recently posted. I just saw it and will be attempting to see if this resolves the problem: https://wp-types.com/forums/topic/great-update-does-layouts-content-templates-now-work-with-beaver-builder/#post-371063

I may not get to this for a week, but I’ll try and report back if it’s a success.

Thanks for all your help.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for sharing the link above! Let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

Ben

OK, so here is a summary of my findings regarding compatibility of Beaver Builder and Toolset Layouts (https://wp-types.com/home/toolset-components/#layouts)

You CAN get the two tools to work together nicely, but with some exceptions.

1. Layouts in Toolset contain a multitude of Cell Types, such as Text (Visual Editor Cell), Video, Menus, Sliders, Views, Comments, Forms etc…

2. As referenced in this link, and as depicted in the accompanying screenshot, you can get Beaver Builder to edit a cell area in Toolset that is called a “Visual Editor Cell” https://wp-types.com/forums/topic/great-update-does-layouts-content-templates-now-work-with-beaver-builder/#post-371063

3. However… you run into problems when you have more than one Visual Editor Cell block used in the layout. If for example, I have two on the Layout, then whatever you put into Beaver Builder, will override all Visual Text Cells, so it looks like it repeats throughout the layout. This is the strange behavior that Danny observed above, when he tried to troubleshoot.

4. You also run into problems (but not in all instances) when you place a certain cell type called “views” into your layout. this affects the beaver builder cell.

5. Now, this is ok for my pursposes, which is to have landing pages with my header and footer pulled from layouts, and then the body of the page created with Beaver Builder.

6. Follow these guidelines and you should be fine.
    a) Avoid using Visual Editor Cells in any place, except for the main body. And make that main Visual Editor Cell the Full Width of the Layout.
    b) Also, do not use visual editor cells in the header and footer
    c) keep the header and footer relatively simple not using a lot of cells
    d) avoid using the cell type “Views” on the page if possible.

So, simple header and footer, with a visual Text cell forming the body, and Beaver Builder Works fine. I can build my complex data driven site pages in Toolset, and my marketing/landing pages using Beaver Builder (while sharing a common header and footer with Toolset Layouts).

There could be more incompatibilities, but I haven’t tried all cell types. this works for my scenario. I just had to replace the offending cells that caused conflicts.

Thanks for your help, and I hope this helps others!

Matt

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the detailed update! It sounds like Beaver Builder is seeing their “Visual Editor Cell” as the original post content and trying to instantiate itself in each one. Getting that to work would be really tricky so I’m glad you found a workaround for now. I’ll bookmark this thread if it comes up again.

Thanks!
Justin