I’m building a restaurant website and after updating to Wordpress 4.5, the BB editor isn’t working. I’m using Genesis + Dynamik + BB. I disabled all plugins and re-enabled them one by one and found that the conflicting plugin is foodPress. From looking through the forum it seems this is happening with other sites too, but not necessarily with foodPress. The error happens with multiple browsers. Let me know if you want access to my site.
Sorry to hear about the issue! What kind of problems are you experiencing with the editor? Does it have something to do with the media upload function? If so, it might be related to this. A change made in WP 4.5 causes a certain code to break media upload. BB doesn’t use this but the problem occurs if another plugin/theme does.
The visual tab doesn’t work. If I click on the text tab, I can enter text, but on the visual tab side, it’s blank and I can’t enter anything. Also the standard toolbar functions at the top (bold, italic, etc.) don’t show up. I can work around the limitations, but I’m about to hand the site off to a client within a week or two and I’m hoping to find a fix for it before then.
Would it be possible for you to share with us a temp access to your admin so we can take a close look? Just set it as a private reply.
I am not familiar with the FoodPress theme. However, when I load up the Page Builder and open the browser console I am seeing quite a few JS errors that appear to be related to
Therefore, I think the best course of action is for the FoodPress devs to take a closer look, but please, keep us posted with what they suggest.
Sorry just wanted to follow up on this. We just released BB v1.7.7 which fixes various issues with WP 4.5. Can you try updating BB to the latest version and see if that fixes your issue as well? Let us know how it goes. Thanks!
I just updated all plugins and the problem is still there.
I’ve got backups - I’m wondering if I should restore a backup prior to WP 4.5 - and update all plugins first, then Wordpress. (Needless to say, I don’t want to lose a week’s worth of work though.) The problem originated when the managed hosting account automatically updated my staging site to 4.5 - while I was working on it. I saw the effects immediately - not just Beaver Builder - lot’s on the backend was weird. After updating the Facebook plugin most of the problems went away except this issue with Beaver Builder. I have no idea why deactivating FoodPress fixes the issue.
If that’s the case then I would go with Danny’s suggestion to contact Foodpress since it appears to be pretty clear by now that the error came from their theme. You might want to mention what Danny included in his response above, that should help them quickly identify the problem. Give that a shot and let us know how it goes!