How BB Child Theme works

Hello!

So far, I am loving the Beaver Builder plugin and Automator theme.

I am still confused on how the Child theme works. Can you give me a good run down of it? I went through the documentation and it’s still confusing me.

I have installed both the main theme and then also the child theme, and the child theme is the one I have been editing. On my old dynamik theme, I lost my changes when I did an update of the plugin, so I am hoping I won’t have that happen again, although it seems like you guys have developed so that doesn’t happen.

thank you very much!
-bryan

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for contacting us and for using our products! Re. using the child theme, this article covers using a child theme which should help - http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes. Re. losing changes, there must be a bit of a disconnect with the child theme as that shouldn’t happen upon updating hence the use of a child theme. Perhaps you were making the changes in the main theme files? Anyway, let me know how it goes and thanks again!

Best,
Billy

Hi Billy,

I understand the general premise of child themes. However, I am still not understanding fully.

So, I just saw that there was an update available to my Beaver Builder Theme (not child). So I completed the update, but I did not active the updated theme. I have the Beaver Builder Child Theme activated. Did the update do what is needed? Do I always need to have the Beaver Builder Theme in the theme list as well as the child theme?

Thank you in advance. I don’t know why I am not understanding this seemingly simple concept.

Hi Bryan,

No worries at all. The update should have done what it needs to have done and yes, you will want to have the child theme activated. Yes, the Beaver Builder main theme should be in your themes dashboard with the child theme being the activated theme. I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any further questions!

Best,
Billy

awesome! It just seems too simple… .and I thank you for that!

-bryan

My pleasure Bryan, thanks again and enjoy! :slight_smile: