HTTP background images on HTTPS site

If you apply a background slideshow to a row layout, the images loaded by the slideshow are all called via HTTP, despite viewing a site that’s HTTPS (so you get a mixed content SSL error).

Hey Steve,

That’s interesting. Would you mind sharing temp admin access so we can take a look?

Best,
Billy

[Content Hidden]

Hey Steve,

For some reason, we’ve had this before in our forum, but I can’t seem to find the thread now! Any way, it appears the main site URL is HTTP as opposed to HTTPS. Is this a site that you migrated from a test environment? I’m not quite sure why this is happening for you, but I think I’ll ask one of the guys to take a look here shortly.

Best,
Billy

The Siteurl and Home addresses are set to HTTP as that is the default protocol. A feature of the Domain Mapping plugin is applying HTTPS on a per page basis.

Does BB need to include the protocol in the media URLs? I don’t suppose you can just call all media via ‘//my-site.com/wp-content/…’?

Hey Steve,

I took a look at the code for the slideshow module and it looks like we’re using core WordPress functions to pull the links from the media library. We’re not building the links ourselves so I’m guessing the only way to force WordPress into returning the correct media library links is to set the main site URL to HTTPS.

I’d actually recommend this as we’ve heard that Google is now using HTTPS as a ranking factor. Additionally, we had originally only used HTTPS on only a few pages of this site, but found that having both HTTP and HTTPS was more of a headache than it’s worth. Have you looked at the WordPress HTTPS plugin?

Justin

No worries I imagine this is an issue with the Domain Mapping plugin, probably just an edge case.

I tinkered with the ‘WordPress HTTPS plugin’ but found it a little buggy, I have a feeling it’s been abandoned.

Hey Steve,

Sounds good, thanks for understanding. I didn’t realize that plugin hasn’t been updated in a year. Thanks for pointing that out!

Justin