Posts Slider Advanced Module issues

Two things that show up with this module (which I LOVE)…

1. With its default setting, the Posts Slider displays the Featured image as a background, but actually pulls the Medium size image. I think this module is designed to show in a one column display, which makes the background image look very bad. If you switch the Featured image to Thumbnail and choose the Large image instead of the default Medium image, then switch back to Featured image, the Large image will show instead. I think if you’re going to have the default be the Featured image, it should display the Featured image (which by the way is not on the list of images to select, the biggest image is the Large image).

2. With the setting changes above, I don’t think the Post Slider module displays well on Small devices, so I made the Row above with the Posts Slider only show in Large and Medium devices and use another row set to Small devices with a few modifications of the Posts Slider; one of which is to display the Medium size image as Thumbnail instead of the Large image. Now when the page is run through “webpagetest.org”, it shows that BOTH the Large image and Medium image are being pulled though only the Large image is displayed.

You can check “irwbugtest.wpengine.com” to see. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you need admin access.

Thanks,
Doug.

Hey Doug,

I agree with the first one. We might need to add an option for size if we set the featured image as a background. I’ll run this through the guys.

I tried the Post Slider on my end and it worked fine on mobile devices. I guess it depends on the aspect ratio of the image, mine was almost a square. What you did is always an option though. If it doesn’t look good on smaller device, simply hide it using that option and create another row for mobile. The reason why both are shown is because both are loaded in the markup, just hidden via CSS. That’s how that option works.

Again, I’ll run this through the guys and see what they say. Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

Ben

Ben,

I probably should have said that the on Mobile devices, the default settings don’t function as well. I find it sometimes difficult to navigate past the post to view content below.

But more importantly now that I’ve been testing sites on webpagetest.org, I’m seeing that if I have the Large size image within a row set to “Large and Medium” devices and another row set to “Small” devices with the same image set to Medium size, BOTH images are loaded for any device. It’s just being displayed differently for each device.

Is there a way around this? It feels like I have no way of limiting the size of the page load for mobile devices which is what I’m trying to accomplish. I just might as well ONLY have the large image loaded since BOTH images load for any size device.

Thanks.
Doug

Hey Doug,

What default settings do you mean? The reason you’re having trouble navigating may be caused by how you can swipe on the Post Slider to view the next/previous item. If you simply swipe up/down, not diagonally, it should work. I did try playing around it on my mobile and it works just fine.

All rows are being loaded on the markup even if they’re not visible and I don’t think there is a way around this. I don’t even know if there is a way to add content to the markup after it’s loaded. I do think there are some services out there that does what you want, a different markup for mobile devices. Kind of like how when you visit some sites on mobile they redirect you to m.sitename.com but I’m not really sure about that since I haven’t tried them.

Hope this helps!

Ben

Ben,

Regarding the Post Slider on Mobile, it’s a small touch point to move below the Post Slider when the Featured image is set to Background and sometimes it feels like you can’t get past it. It’s an easy change to set the Featured image to Thumbnail which to me behaves and looks better on Mobile.

Thanks for the clarification on how images are loaded with different devices.

Thanks.
Doug