Several Builder Bugs

I’ve encountered several page builder bugs. I’m using the latest Agency version. I’ll just detail one of the bugs here and you can look into some of the other ones after you troubleshoot this one.

I created a page that had several rows - a background video, some text over that, a callout section etc and then a row with another text module. On the first text module, the drop down boxes for font size and other settings work as expected. On the text module further down the page, the drop down menus in the module settings don’t work at all.

I’ll provide you with a login account and URL and you can see for yourself.

[Content Hidden]

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the detailed post. I’ll check this out shortly and get back to you.

Justin

Hey Steve,

It looks like the theme is setting the position of the body to relative which is throwing off the editor’s calculation for the position of those popup menus. To fix that, you can add this css…

.fl-builder-edit body { position: static; }

I’ve been unable to get a photo gallery to drop into this page successfully. Other modules will freeze up – the save button won’t work and I’ll have to cancel out. I’ll see if I can get you the steps to replicate these issues.

It looks like something is conflicting with WordPress’ media uploader and causing a JavaScript error. Can you try upgrading to the latest version of the builder and see if that helps? If that doesn’t help, try disabling all of your plugins and enable them one by one while testing to see if you can pinpoint what is causing the issue.

You support either using MP4 or WebM.

We’ve had this request a few times and it’s on our radar. From what I hear, the latest version of FireFox supports MP4 on Windows with planned support for OS X. If that happens soon, we may stick with the current setup.

Justin

Thanks Justin. The CSS Code definitely took care of the settings box issue. Thanks.

I upgraded to the latest version of Agency (had to do it manually, for some reason it didn’t show in the plugins page that an update was available).

I tried to drop in a Gallery and a) It creates way to much space in the page for the gallery and b) the images don’t appear after saving the settings.

I tried adding some other modules to the bottom of the page and kept running into this issue with the Content Advanced Modules section. I would go to drag a module onto the page and a big section of the modules in the pane would turn blue and I would have to discard the draft and start again to be able use the content pane. I was able to reproduce this several times.

I tried adding a content slider to the button. After I added the second slide to the content slider I was unable to press the save button. Nothing happened when I did this. I had to cancel out of it. This is what was happening a lot yesterday while testing it.

There are other issues too but I’ll start with this.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for getting back. It sounds like there is a JS conflict with either a 3rd party plugin or with the theme. Let’s start on the plugin route and have you disable all plugins and test the Beaver Builder while reactivating each to determine if the issue is related to a 3rd party plugin. If so, please let us know which it is and we’ll take it from there! Thanks Steve!

Best,
Billy

Billy, that sounds like a really long route to get there. Justin has already been on the site yesterday testing to figure out the previous issue. I would think having him look at what’s happening directly would be a better approach - then we don’t have to speculate on what is happening.

Hey Steve,

Apologies for the inconvenience, Justin will be out the remainder of the week without access to email. It would great if we could start with this route so that we can pinpoint and troubleshoot as soon as he gets back in the office Monday.

Best,
Billy

I think I’d rather wait for Justin to get back. That will take a lot of my time and doesn’t seem an efficient way to go about it. There are clearly bugs with Beaver Builder - pretty major ones. Thanks.

Hey Steve,

My apologies for the delay! I’m back today and will have another look at this. I had mentioned the disabling plugin route to Billy because it does seem like there is a conflict with another plugin, not a bug with the builder as that issue doesn’t happen on a fresh install. If I’m not able to pinpoint the issue through testing, we’ll need to go that route. I’ll let you know shortly.

Justin

Thanks Justin. It’s a live site so disabling them one at a time is not a very practical option. All of the errors you’ve encountered so far have been related to CSS - I’m hoping that this might be the case here.

I appreciate your support,

Steve

Hey Steve,

I’ve narrowed it down to something preventing the gallery JavaScript from running while the builder is active. That’s why you aren’t seeing any images. They are there but the formatting code isn’t running. Would it be possible to get temporary FTP access to do some testing on the builder (it shouldn’t affect the live site)? That’s really going to be the only way I’ll be able to narrow this down further as I can’t recreate it on any of my test sites. Let me know.

Thanks,
Justin

[Content Hidden]

Thanks, Steve. That should do fine. Can you double check the login info? It doesn’t appear to be working.

Justin

[Content Hidden]

That worked!

Hey Steve,

I’m not sure what plugin is doing it, but whichever plugin is adding the “Access Restrictions” functionality is breaking the WordPress media uploader on the frontend. It’s trying to use the jQuery “selectize” library which doesn’t appear to be present (they must only be loading it in wp-admin). They should be checking to see if that is available before calling it to avoid issues like this.

Here is the offending code…

if (typeof jQuery !== "undefined"){jQuery("document").ready(function(){jQuery("#attachments-553-capability").selectize({plugins: ["remove_button"]});});}

Here is the error it is causing, which is breaking jQuery’s document ready call…

Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function

Unfortunately, there isn’t anything we can do to prevent this from happening on our end. You many consider enqueuing that script yourself when the builder is active to prevent that plugin from breaking. Let me know if you have any questions about that.

You could also contact the author and ask them to fix the issue as that will break any plugin that uses the media uploader on the frontend.

Thanks,
Justin

That’s the Groups plugin. Here it is: https://wordpress.org/plugins/groups/ It’s a pretty major plugin with 120,000 downloads and it’s a foundation for a number of other plugins. I can disable that if it that helps you to troubleshoot, but it will be a vital part of my site.

I’m not sure what enqueing a script is. Can you tell me more about that.

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve,

No need to deactivate it. The issue is that the Groups plugin isn’t coded properly to work on the front-end. Their JavaScript is creating an error that is breaking other JavaScripts on the page because it’s expecting a library that I’m assuming they’re only loading in wp-admin because it’s not available on the front-end (hence the error with their code).

If there was something I could do to keep that from happening I would definitely do it, but unfortunately, the only solution is to fix the error in their code or include the library yourself using PHP so it’s available to their code on the front-end.

Are you comfortable with working with some PHP snippets? If so, I can shoot some your way to do that. Otherwise, you might consider contacting the plugin author. It should be a fairly easy fix for them.

Thanks,
Justin

Hey Steve,

Actually, I’m doing some research on catching JavaScript errors (even ones we don’t have control of) and preventing them from breaking other stuff on the page. Do you mind if I do a bit more testing on your site since it’s ready to go with an issue? Let me know.

Justin