Stumped about navigation & loading posts

Built a blog page to hold all categories/posts in “Layout Style > Grid”. Added a horizontal menu of categories at the top. I expected that, when I clicked on a category, that category’s posts would load below the menu. Instead it loads a category archive page with a sidebar.

Here is a visual description of what I’m describing.

During this site build I’ve made zero theme modifcations so just used the parent bb-theme. Changing to a child theme now would require a ton of re-work so I’d prefer not to make a single.php and create a child theme.

What am I doing wrong or what might be the fix?

Hey Steve,

The Menu module works just like the theme menu. It takes you to where you link it to. What you are trying to do can’t be done with just the BB theme or plugin. You’ll have to custom code it or use a plugin. You can check the link below(which I found after quick Google) for a list of plugins that does that.
https://mintplugins.com/isotopes-for-wordpress/

Hope this helps!

Ben

Thanks Ben. That actually loads MP Stacks which is kind of a poor man’s Beaver Builder. While it does have some quite cool category ajaxy stuff going on, having both BB and that one installed wouldn’t work.

Only other solution I can think of is to create category navigation that loads ‘no-header’ per-category-blog-grid pages in an iframe (yuck!) or clicking a nav link just loads yet another page with categories on it. Either one makes it pretty challenging for the client to manage going forward.

I’d like to suggest an “Advanced Modules > Post” query option for loading of posts based on category on the same page.

Here is an example of what I mean called Post Grid.

Hey Steve,

I think I see what you mean now. You can filter out the posts under the Content tab. What you can do is create each page for each category then assign those pages to the menu. Let me know if you need help with that.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Absolutely considered that workaround, but it doesn’t scale. All category pages (and their insertion in to a menu) would have to be pre-made, which then means the client would need to know, in advance, what categories they might need now and in the future. Otherwise every time they want to add a category we’d get a call to make a page, add that category to the nav, etc.

Looked at the ‘free’ shuffle.js too and it’s also not perfect and requires hard-coding of the categories (which is polar opposite of the reason to use a Beaver Builder!) but the all-on-one-page-with-nav is exactly what the client wants.

You guys are smarter than me about elegant ways in which a blog page could be enhanced, so any other ideas you might have are more than welcomed!

Hey Steve,

Sorry to say but you either have to hard code it or use a 3rd party plugin. There is no such functionality built in to BB that does that. Or you could use the native blog/archive page from WP. But then you won’t be able to style it with BB. Those are all your options it would seem.

Ben

OK…thanks Ben. We can close the thread.

Hey Steve,

You may want to add that as a feature request on our User Voice Forums. I see it being useful enough for the Posts module that the guys might consider it. :slight_smile:

Ben

Just added the idea to the UserVoice forum. The more I try to figure out how to accomplish a filterable posts grid, the more agitated I become that this capability isn’t already built-in. The whole point of being able to query posts in WP is to be able to slice-and-dice content and deliver content within a taxonomy. Just displaying all posts (or a collection of posts on individual, manually created category pages) makes the posts module of little value.

Just saw on the roadmap that “filter” of posts in the posts module is coming at some point. Do you know when? At this point I’ve got to completely rethink my use of BB on this client’s site and maybe start over from scratch.

BTW, I’ve now purchased three different post grid “pro version” plugins whose js conflicts with BB are quite major and thus not useable. Another reason why having this capability built-in to BB is critical.

Sorry to keep adding to this thread…but I’m tearing my hair out trying to finish this site and get the client live. Do you have any idea how posts in the posts module can be filtered? Or is the only way manually for right now?

Hey Steve,

Sorry to say but the only way is manual for now. I would say you can do it via custom module but then you’ll have to do some coding. Have you tried the Post Grid plugin? The free one doesn’t support the isotope filtering but I think the pro version comes with it. You should be able to use this since it can be called via shortcode.

Ben

Hey Steve,

Now that I think of it, if you’re gonna use a 3rd party plugin for your Post Grid with isotope filtering, might as well use it on a page without BB? I mean all the styling to your Post Grid should be contained within the plugin itself so you won’t need BB anymore. Or is that not the case?

Ben