Beaver Builder and Genesis Child Theme

I just bought the product today and I am using it with a Genesis child theme. When I build a post in the editor, it looked great. But when I post it, it looks bad. The 2 columns only display as 1 column and a full one column picture does not show at all. I saw a similar problem reported which seem to imply that the width of the theme needed to be increased. However, the final solution was unclear to me. I have an editor image and browser image to upload but right now I am not sure how to upload files with this question. Please advise.

Thank you,
Alan

Hi Alan! Sorry you’re having trouble. Could you possibly post a link to the page where this is happening? And or, can you let me know which Genesis them you’re using? Thanks!

It is the current blog at http://cclchess.com. It is a custom made Genesis child theme that I hired someone to create for me. I modified the template that you provide with the product that shows a picture of a city off of a body of water. Thanks so much for your quick response.

That template that I referred to has 3 columns but I changed it to two columns. However, I kept the big picture at the top of the template.

I can make you an admin account on the site, if you want to poke around.

Hi Alan,

Could you provide temporary login info for us to do some testing?

Thanks,
Justin

[Content Hidden]

Thanks, Alan. I tested your 2 column post template and everything appears to be working fine…

http://cclchess.com/beaver-test/

Can you check to make sure the builder is active for the page you’re having trouble with? If you go to the wp-admin post edit screen, there should be a message in place of the editor saying the builder is active. If not, you’ll need to click the page builder tab and publish the page from within the builder. Let me know how it goes.

Justin

Justin:

I just looked at the post itself http://cclchess.com/cleveland-classic/ and it looks fine. However, when is is displayed on my home page http://cclchess.com it does not display well. The pages seem the same to me. So, I guess that it is something about my home page that your post does not work with. All of my posts initially go on my home page so this aspect needs to work for me. Please feel free to do whatever you want to make this work. I take regular backups. When you are on my site, you have full administrative privilege.

Thanks,
Alan

Justin:
I got in again and looked at our Welcome page. It was not managed by page builder. When I had it manage it, it looked wrong it that editor. I published it through the page and it came out looking wrong as it looked in the editor for the page. So it appears that posts look different when they are on their own than they do when they are in a page. This is not true of normal Wordpress posts. I hope that you can understand me but in any case, you have full authorization to try whatever you want. T

Any feedback?

Hi Alan,

I have a pretty good idea about what the issue is and will do some testing on our development server later today to confirm and hopefully get a fix together. Thanks for your patience.

Justin

Justin:

I understand that these things could be tricky and can take a little while. I will lay back for a while now that I know you have a plan. You are better off getting it done right than getting it done quickly. From what I can tell you seem to have a good product and good support, just a little early in the development cycle of the product. Good luck. Thank you, Alan

Hi Alan,

The issue wasn’t what I had thought it was. Can you ask your developer how and where the Latest News posts on the homepage are being rendered in your theme? I tried to find it in the theme editor but am not having much luck. It appears that they are being loaded in a non-standard way that the builder can’t work with, so it may not be possible to display a builder layout there.

The builder has to load in the styles for each layout, but if the post isn’t being loaded the “WordPress way” it has no idea that post is even on the page.

Let me know if you find out anything and we can go from there.

Thanks,
Justin

Actually, scratch that last message, I found it! Unfortunately, the way the posts are being loaded in doesn’t allow for a builder layout to be rendered properly. This is because these posts are being loaded after all styles, including builder styles, have been loaded.

May I suggest, if you want to use the builder for posts in this manner (as opposed to pages), that you show the excerpts on the homepage with a read more link to the actual post page where the layout is rendered?

Justin

Justin:

Thanks for investigating into this for me. I do the development myself now and I am heading away for a few days. So, after I get back I will look into it. In any case, the problem seems to be on my end. I will work on it after I return. I appreciate your efforts and will try to implement one of your ideas. Perhaps, I will change to one of the other Genesis Themes that I bought. I assume that those more standard Genesis themes will probably work.

Thanks,
Alan

One more questions. Do you happen to recommend any specific Genesis theme. Or do you feel strongly about me changing to your theme. I like the Genesis themes as they take care of a number of other issues behind the scenes for me. Any input that you have in this area is appreciated.

Hi Alan,

Good to hear that you do the development now! I don’t necessarily think you need to change themes, it’s just that the builder layouts won’t render the way your latest posts are being displayed on the homepage. So, you can use it for your pages and posts, but possibly rethink how that homepage feed is being displayed. Moving to another theme might be more trouble than it’s worth if you can figure out something else for that one piece.

Justin

Sounds good. I will try to make that work. Thanks again, I really appreciate your efforts and feedback.