i have been reading for several hours to increase knowledge on this and have detailed some steps below in case it is of use to anyone.
this article helped me understand cahing:
I don’t know whether the issue is server side caching or client side caching that is causing the problem.
i also wasn’t sure what “caching twice” problem mentioned earlier is referring to exactly. (server AND client caching perhaps?)
the following article explained to me in simple terms why page caching is not good for dynamic pages on wordpress sites:
i therefore installed the W3 total cache plugin and diabled page cache and purged the cache. butthis didn’t solve the problem. (i assume this is server side stuff)
i therefore went to browser cache and disabled that and purged the cache. (i assume this is client side stuff). the browser cache settings look far more complicated with many more options.
again didn’t solve the problem… although site is slower now (i think possible due to a photo that has to be reloaded each time on the home page)
i will keep reading although i am disappointed. After purchasing beaver themer for conditional logic functionality i naively thought it was going to be straightforwards to build dynamic content but it isn’t…
w3cache is the recommended plugin by my host wpx. I contacted them and downloaded their recommended settings for the plugin. i disabled caching for that page and disabled browser caching and purged all caches. but this didn’t work.
I contacted the host again and they advised that they can turn off caching on the server their end. a step i hadn’t realised was necessary/possible. i also asked them to turn off caching from their CDN.
All of this was new to me… so i hope it is of some use to other newbies who find that conditional logic doesn’t work due to caching… for me, it has solved the problem.