Custom Modules Guide

Hallo

I couldnt find much help over the guide here
http://forum.wpbeaverbuilder.com/custom-module-documentation/#
or
http://forum.wpbeaverbuilder.com/knowledge-base/custom-modules/

it looks like a guide for someone that already knows the argument.
Any link where I can get a better, more 101, step by step explanation of CM?
Videos, lynda, books.

Best

Hey Edo,

I’ve already assigned another member of the team to assist you with your concern.

Ben

Hi Edo,

Is there something specific you would like assistance with by chance? The documentation you mention is our current guide or reference section on building custom modules. Let us know!

Best,
Billy

Hallo Ben, hallo Bill

thanks for your support.
My needs are related to create an interactive book (interactive textual adventure) using wordpress and bb: print some text based on the user choices, random events and comparing and saving data.
If CMs are the right tool for this, I would like a more easy, 101, introductory guide.

Thanks, best
Edo

Hey Edo,

The Custom Module Docs do contain a walkthrough for creating custom modules and are meant to be an introductory guide. In addition to the steps outlined to create a module, the docs also contain several code reference sections. Have you tried creating a basic module to get the feel for how it works? If there is something specific that you are struggling to understand, I would be happy to help.

One thing to note is that you will need a solid understanding of fundamental programming concepts as well as the PHP and JavaScript languages. Is that something you are familiar with?

Let me know and we’ll go from there.

Justin

Hi Justin

solid is a big word, Im a junior dev of php/js. Can I ask you to outline me the advantages/differences of using code inside a shortcode plugin and a custom module?
thanks

Hey Edo,

The advantage of a custom module over a shortcode is that the module can be dropped into the layout and have its own settings tabs. A shortcode has to be added in the HTML or Text Editor modules and have its settings applied to the tag.

If you can point out specific things that you need help with regarding custom modules, I’d be happy to help.

Justin