Error with update

Hi. I just loaded the new update and our website last night and now our site is not displaying. This happened with the last update as well. Support went it and configured something in our settings and made some changes to where the update would not do this again, but it is doing the same thing with the next update. I am going to private message login info for my dashboard and FTP server. Could you please look into, and also let me know what seems to be the issue? Also, please let me know if there is something that our IT department needs to do in order to prevent our site from going down with each update.

Thanks for your help…

[Content Hidden]

Hey Fredric,

I went in and recreated the code inside web.config file(for the WP permalinks structure) and that seems to have fixed the problem. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a copy of what was in there before so I can’t say if it was corrupted or not. When you updated last night, was it just the BB theme and/or plugin you’ve updated or did it include a WP update? Also, you said you’ve encountered this before, was it still after a BB update or did it include a WP update as well?

Ben

Ben,

Each time it has been after a BB update. Neither time was there a WP update. I just went in and looked, and the BB theme is still not available to me. Our website is defaulting to a non beaver builder theme. This is the same thing that happened last time. You can find the history in this thread #20889. Everything has been fine until I updated to the new version. Now, our site looks like a 5 year old created it… lol please help!

Thanks!

Hey Fredric,

I did check via FTP and the BB theme is no longer there. So you’re saying you were using both the BB theme and plugin on this site and after updating the BB theme got deleted? Did you receive any error messages while and/or after doing the update? Do you think you can recall if this happens only after the BB theme is updated? Is this a live site? I’m afraid we might need to do some more testing.

Ben

Ben,

Yes, this is a live site. We have already started to receive inquires on why our site looks so goofy. We purchased and have been using the BB theme and plugin since February, and the only time there have been errors is the last two times I have updated to the latest BB theme. There were no errors when I have updated to the new version, only a disappeared theme. I am going to need to revert back to an older version if the error can not be fixed, since I can’t have our corporate website looking as it is. Please advise.

Hey Fredric,

I’ll just go ahead and put up the newest version of the theme in for you so your site goes back to normal. But we’ll have to investigate this further though. Were there any changes on your hosting prior to the last update(when you first had this problem)? Or not just hosting but anything on your site that you think might be related this problem?

Also, I’ve already activated the BB theme on the site so it should be back to how it was but just to be sure, try to double checking the pages and such.

Ben

Ben,

Thanks! There haven’t been any changes to hosting or anything else within the site; not even changes to any of the website pages. This has happened the last 2 times after I installed a BB update. There have not been any other updates to the site, and no additional plugins installed. We have a very basic site with limited plugins. The issue seems to be, whenever an update is performed, the BB theme disappears.

Hello,

This has happened again with the new update… Could you PLEASE push the new theme though again? We have a paid email blast going out today, and certainly don’t want them going to the site looking as it currently does…

I also wanted to add some additional information to this post. This is now the 3rd update that this has happened. Our IT guy just recalled something each of the three previous times this happened; BEFORE we uploaded the update - the site was in a “white screen” state… As in, nothing was being displayed on the website except a white screen. I’m not sure what would cause this, but just wanted to add some additional info that could maybe help solve this issue once and for all.

Thanks

Hey Fredric,

Apologies for not getting back to you, I thought I already assigned this to someone but for some reason I didn’t. I’ve already installed the latest theme to your site and activated it. You might want to double check just to make sure everything’s there. Also, I’ve made sure this time I’ve already assigned someone from the team to check in on this.

Ben

Thank You!

Hi Fredric,

Sorry you’re having trouble. We rarely work on windows/IIS servers, so bare with us as we’re not experts

First, are you running an error log? Is there any way we could take a look to see if there are any clues there?

Next, it looks like your site is configured to run from the wp/ folder, but I don’t see that folder in your FTP. Do you know why it’s configured that way and where that wp/ folder is?

Lastly, if possible, can you double check that your permissions are configured correctly. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with how to do this on an IIS server, but some googling turned up this support thread:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/the-correct-permissions-for-wordpress-on-iis

Maybe start there.

For future, it might not be a bad idea to manually update the theme (upload the new files via FTP) until we figure out what’s going on. At least that way your site won’t go down when you update. Sorry for all the trouble. Thanks, Fredric.