How to get Accent Color variable

I’d like to use the accent color in other parts of my child theme. What’s the best way to do that? Is it a simple CSS class? Or do I need to access it via PHP? In the latter case, what’s you preferred convention for doing so?

Thanks!

Hey Skyler,

Thanks for getting in touch! The only way to style all the other elements in your site would be via custom CSS.

Ben

That’s fine, but is there a way for me to at least access the color and put it in a PHP variable?

Thanks for your reply by the way :slight_smile:

Hi Skyler,

All of the settings are stored in the database as theme mods. You can access the accent color (or any setting for that matter) by using…

$mod = get_theme_mod( 'fl-accent' );

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Justin

Hello guys!

I am trying to accomplish the same thing here. I am interested in having some custom CSS that uses the accent color.

With this approach, Do I need to create a PHP file and use it as a CSS? I am not to savvy of this stuff :S

Thank you!

I used some styles in the header to create a class for the accent color, which I could then apply to the necessary elements throughout the body of the site. There are more elegant solutions, but it’s a great stop gap for now.

Hello Skyler!

Thank you for your reply! This sounds good. Are you using a Child Theme?

I am trying to figure out how to add this to the header without loosing the header options or loosing the chagned when updating.

Thank you!

Hey Carlos,

Yes, you’ll need to use a child theme to accomplish this. Here’s an example of what you can add to your child theme’s functions.php file (untested)…

<?php

function my_custom_css()
{
    $accent = get_theme_mod( 'fl-accent' );

?>
    <style>

.my-css-class {
        color: <?php echo $accent; ?>
    }

</style>
    <?php
}

add_action( 'wp_head', 'my_custom_css' );

Justin

What Justin said is exactly what I did. Next time I’ll post my code too :slight_smile:

I actually always use a child theme, so that I can make modifications later without erasing current theme settings. It’s kind of like, “why not?”.

Awesome! Don’t be shy, we love when people share their code :wink:

Justin

Hello Guys!

Thank you for your help. It is working nicely.

Hello!

I am back.

I already tried the code and it working great for ‘fl-accent’. However, I tried using the same code with ‘fl-body-text-color’ with no luck. I shows as if thet field was empty, but it is not.

Here is a copy of my code:

function wr_custom_css()
{
    $accent = get_theme_mod( 'fl-accent' );
    $colordecontenido = get_theme_mod( 'fl-body-text-color' );

?>
    <style>

.wr-bg-accent  {
        background-color: <?php echo $accent; ?>
    }

.wr-border-accent .fl-col-content {
    	border-color: <?php echo $accent; ?> !important
    }

.wr-content-accent, .wr-h3-accent h3 {
    	color: <?php echo $accent; ?>
    }

.contact-callout-row h3 {
    	color: <?php echo $colordecontenido; ?>
    }

.contact-callout-row .fl-icon i {
    	background-color: <?php echo $accent; ?>;
    	color:white;
        line-height: 52.5px;
        height: 52.5px !important;
        width: 52.5px !important;
        text-align: center;
    }

</style>
    <?php
}

add_action( 'wp_head', 'wr_custom_css' );

Please advice.

Thank you!

Hey Carlos,

I just tried using your function on my local dev and it works just fine. Changing the Text Color under General > Text changes the color of text on modules having the class name.

Ben