media uploader on front-end not working

Dear bb-team

Right now on my multisite installation about 100 customers are editing their site with bb-plugin and bb-theme. Every 2 days a customer tells me, that he cannot use the front-end media uploader since media library is not loading. Justin says in ticket #53824:

Unfortunately, Jetpack’s VidePress module has an issue that is breaking the media uploader on the front-end, which in turn is breaking the builder.

I’m using version 1.6.3.2 on my site but no VideoPress module from Jetpack. Is this a known issue? Is there a solution for that?

Thanks for helping.
Dominic

Dear team

I need to clarify the mentioned behavior, since two other clients started a support ticket today with the same problem.

I cannot comprehend when this error occurs. But I could make out the following:

Customers who use the bb-gallery sometimes find “dead links” in their galeries where it says “This image could not be loaded”. If I start the builder and open the gallery there are two possibilities:

1. I cannot edit or add photos to the gallery because it cannot load the medialibrary from front-end. It only shows an endless loop but no images appear.

2. I can open the medialibrary from front-end but I don’t see the “dead linked images” their. If I then klick ‘update gallery’ it counts down one image number and the dead linked image is not in the gallery anymore.

3. I don’t know if case 1. and 2. depend on each other

4. If I have case 1. (infinit loop) and then go reload the page or go to the backend and then come back to the builder and gallery I can load the medialibrary and no endless loop shows up.

Any idea what could cause that?

• Dominic

Hey Dominic,

Did you try checking the console when the infinite loop happened? There might be a JS error happening which is causing the loop. Although you say you don’t have the VideoPress module, do you have Jetpack installed and activated though?

Ben

Hey Ben

I had checked the console. There it said:

JQMIGRATE: Loggin is active (jquery-mig_:21:2)
Waring: JQMIGRATE: jQuery.parseJSON requires a valid JSON string (jquery-mig_:41:4)
console.trace():
migrateWarn()
jQuery.parseJSON()
Pb()
x(x)
.sen/b()

Warning: Empty string given to getElementById() “a red 5” jquery.js:2:0
Waring: Empty string given to getElementById() "a red 38 jquery.js:2:0

Does this tell you where the JS error comes from?

Thanks!
Dominic

Hey Dominic,

Does the error only appear when it goes into an infinite loop? Also, could you share temp admin access to the site so we can check?

Ben

Hey Ben

As far as I can say the error only appears when it goes into an infinite loop. I will try to get some more information on it.

Dominic

Hey Dominic,

I believe this other topic you have might be related so let’s figure this out first and come back here. :slight_smile:
http://forum.wpbeaverbuilder.com/support/q/perhaps-big-bug-in-the-plugin/

Ben

Hey Dominic,

Would it be possible to set us up with an account on your site to test this out? Also, are you able to recreate this every time? If so, let me know what steps to take.

Thanks!
Justin

[Content Hidden]

Thanks, Dominic! I did some testing and can’t create any issues at the moment. Can you tell me…

• Does this only happen with the Gallery module?
  • When it does happen, are you clicking the Add Photos link for the gallery module?
  • What do you mean by “the media-uploader fell into a loop”?

Justin

Thanks, Justin.

• Customers only told me about it when using the gallery module.
  • Yes, clicking the Add Photos link in the gallery module and then choosing the library-tab. After that the files in the library can’t be loaded it shows only a never stopping wheel but no images are there. A customer made a screenshot and sent it to me. I’ve uploaded it on http://testen40001.baldverheiratet.com/fotogallerie/ where you can take a look at it.
  • The same customer with the never stopping wheel had some images in his gallery that could not be loaded since the files could not been found (see screenshot 2).

Remark: all customers that told me about the issue installed their site before august 2015. The big updates (bb-theme and plugin and wp 4.3) I’ve made during september and october 2015. I don’t know if it has to do something with that?

Many thanks for your help Justin
-Dominic

Hey Dominic,

Thanks for the detailed info. I’m still stumped on this one as I can’t recreate it. Would it be possible to get access to one of these older sites? I won’t make any changes, just want to load things up and check for errors. Let me know.

Justin

[Content Hidden]

[Content Hidden]

Thanks, Dominic! I didn’t upload anything other than a blank test image that has been deleted.

Regarding the issues, I tested both sites in multiple browsers on multiple operating systems and still can’t recreate them :frowning:

My thinking is that it could be a server issue, as in the server is hanging up for some reason when the media library is being accessed. I’m not sure.

At this point, I’m somewhat out of ideas as this is something we don’t typically see and I can’t recreate it on my end. Maybe contact us asap if it happens again so we can look immediately?

Sorry I don’t have a better answer.

Justin

Hey Justin

So many thanks for your (outstanding) support.

I’ll take your offer and contact you as soon as it happens again. After your feedback I did some research on my server’s site and I’ve found the following remark:

Widespread Connectivity Issue Across Europe May Be Affecting SiteGround Customers

HRISTO
Product Development - Technical
9 COMMENTS
connectivity

Since approximately 2:00AM CET we started receiving multiple complaints from our European customers and site down reports. On some occasions clients were (and still are) unable to load SiteGround.com, but can access their own website or vice versa, or lose connection with any of our services.

Perhaps the issue has to do with that.

Thanks a lot!
-Dominic

Hey Dominic,

You’re welcome! I really don’t like not being able to figure out issues, so thanks for understanding! :slight_smile:

It’s entirely possible that some sort of outage caused this, since BB would still work in the browser but not be able to connect to the server.

Do get in touch if it happens again.

Justin

[Content Hidden]

Hey Dominic,

Thanks for the update. It looks like these particular errors might not be related to the issue since it’s just image.jpg not existing and being referenced in skin-562d0f5eb919c.css.

It’s possible that image was chosen in the customizer and then deleted elsewhere. If that is the case, the reference would still exist in the css cache until that is cleared.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Dear bb-team

I’m writing this post to Justin since we had a “long” discussion about that issue a few weeks ago.

Dear Justin

You told me that i should write you again if the problem occurs again. Today a customer had the same problem as I wrote a few weeks ago: My customer could not edit or add photos to the gallery because it cannot load the medialibrary from front-end. It only shows an endless loop but no images appear.

I logged in the customers account and tried to open the medialibrary from frontend and I got an endless loop. I checked with the browser and got the following message: http://tschancreative.com/empty-page/

Do you know what this jquery warning means?

There is no way accessing the library from frontend. If I then go to the dashboard and go to the library I can see all the images in there. And even stranger: If I then go to the frontend and start the builder I can access the medialibrary with no problems. Strange isn’t it?

So I’m writing you this, hoping get a step toward the solution of this problem.

Thanks
Dominic