PHP in footer

Hello,

I’m trying to add a date to the wordpress footer.

While looking through the forums I saw that it isn’t possible to input php into the footer through the wordpress dashboard.

Can I do this through a hook in functions.php somehow?

Thanks in advance for your time

-Keith

Hey Keith,

Thanks for getting in touch! There are four actions that you can hook to in the footer and these are:

1. fl_footer_col1_open
  2. fl_footer_col1_close
  3. fl_footer_col2_open
  4. fl_footer_col2_close

More information here. Disregard the Coming Soon text as those actions are already implemented.

Ben

Thanks Ben, you guys are awesome!

Sorry, I wasn’t clear enough. Specifically, I’m looking to change the default copyright text at the bottom of the page. I can do this in the wordpress dashboard, but I need to add in a <?php echo date(‘Y’); ?>, which I realize I can’t do. Could I hook into the copyright line in functions.php?

Hi Keith,
I use this plugin (very simple and lightweight!) to add 2 x shortcodes for year and copyright.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/jonradio-current-year-and-copyright-shortcodes/

From the description:

[c] 1997-[y] John Smith
Assuming it is currently the year 2014, that would display as:

© 1997-2014 John Smith

In 2015, it would automatically display as © 1997-2015 John Smith without anyone having to edit the Page.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for jumping in! I’ll take note of that plugin. :slight_smile:

Keith,

You could try Dave’s suggestion above. Or, you could also modify the copyright.php file itself under bb-theme/includes/ in a child theme. That way, you can change the default copyright text.

Hope this helps!

Ben

Thanks Ben, That works nice too…
Out of interest, what is this in the <a tag ?
/?utm_source=external&utm_medium=builder-theme&utm_campaign=footer

Perfect, thanks for the help Ben and Dave!

Hey Dave,

That’s a UTM code used for tracking. More information on the link below.
http://www.launchdigitalmarketing.com/seo-definitions/what-are-utm-codes/

Keith,

No worries! Have fun with The Beaver! :slight_smile:

Ben

Thanks Ben…
regards, Dave

I was just looking for this answer!

The only copyright.php file I see is here wp-content/themes/bb-theme/includes/copyright.php and not in the BB child theme.

Will that be over written if the main BB theme updates?

Hey William,

You are correct in that it will be overwritten when a new update comes. What you can do is, copy the file and place it under /bb-theme-child/includes/ folder(you’ll have to create the folder as well). It’s not included by default on our child theme so you’ll have to make a copy of it. Same is true to all other files, so long as they follow the same directory structure as their parent theme. :slight_smile:

Ben

Thanks Ben!

That worked perfectly!

Hey William,

No worries! Enjoy The Beaver! :slight_smile:

Ben