Post Offset Setting

I’ve looked everywhere for this but don’t see a place to set a post offset when listing blog posts.

I have one blog post as a large opener and below that in another area I continue the listings. I’d like to offset the second set by one so I don’t repeat an entry.

Thanks!

Hi David; thanks for reaching out and sorry your having trouble. You are right, there currently isn’t a way to offset the post feed. I think the idea of an offset might be a bit confusing, but we might look into adding functionality so you could hide certain posts either by their id or maybe a category or a tag. Do you think that would work for your situation?

Thanks for the quick reply, Robby.

Definitely the better solution in my case is an offset since we’re using this for a magazine. It would be a pain to go to the layout and toggle a tag or a category each time something was published, or go back and toggle something in the article edit screen.

I haven’t looked yet, but it seems like something that might be relatively easy to add to the posts module using a module override?

Yes, I had a feeling that would be the case. If you have a second, it would be best to add this as a feature request on our User Voice: https://wpbeaverbuilder.uservoice.com. User Voice’s voting system has been great for us to determine which features are in high demand. If the offset feature gets more votes, we’ll be a lot more likely to implement it.

I haven’t looked yet, but it seems like something that might be relatively easy to add to the posts module using a module override?

This would certainly be doable with a custom module, but forewarned it might not be “easy.” The posts module uses WP_Query to grab posts, and trying to use an offset and pagination with WP_Query gets really hairy. You can read about this more in the Codex: Class Reference/WP Query « WordPress Codex

Does your post feed also need to be paginated?

I just had an idea after I hit submit (of course, ha). You could research and see if there is another plugin that might make this easier. For example, I just did a quick Google search and found this plugin:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-hide-post/

I wonder if there is a plugin that would automatically add/remove a tag/category to the first post in your posts feed. That might work too (if we implement a way to hide posts based on a tag or category).

Those are some great ideas. I’ll check them out and report back.

BTW, BeaverBuilder has made redesigning this site a breeze. We’re migrating from a crufty custom template (that I built) to BB.

Awesome! Thanks for the kind words. Please do let me know if you find a solution that works for this scenario.

Can you suggest a quick way I could add an offset to the posts module if I didn’t use pagination? I’d probably have to modify the FLBuilderLoop in bb-plugin/classes/FLBuilderLoop.php, correct?

You’re right about offsets and pagination. It’s a pain. I’ve found a couple of ways to do it but I’m not an experienced enough PHP programmer to dissect what BB is doing and add it to that before my deadline.

You might take a look at the Avada theme @ Themeforest. His page builder includes an offset for anything post related. Very nice if you have a post slider at the top and want to continue the post listing in another format below that.

Thanks!

After writing the above I realized that if I’m not using pagination (at the moment) I just needed to add the ‘offset’ parameter and adding that setting to the wp_query and it worked.

I now need to tackle the problem of using offsets with pagination. Any advice on how to add it would be gratefully accepted! One thing that should help is that each opening page containing the offset post area will each be offset by the same amount on each page.

Also, the site is now live here: pyragraph.com. Each of the main pages (Art, Design, etc) are the pages that would use the offsets. The site is entirely built using BB, modified BB post grid modules and a child theme of the BB basic theme.

Edit: clarity

Hi David, this is a tricky topic matter. I did a bit of research on it while answering your original question. Unfortunately, I don’t have much personal experience doing this, so I really won’t be of much help. I can point you in the right direction, though. First, I would start off browsing through this codex article:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Making_Custom_Queries_using_Offset_and_Pagination

Also, you could search around and/or post a question on the WordPress stack exchange. They’re generally very good with these kinds highly-technical questions:

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/

Lastly, the #wordpress IRC chat room might be able to give you some quick insight or more direction. I wish I had a better answer for you.

On an unrelated note, your site looks amazing! I really like it and we were all really impressed that you put it together with Beaver Builder! We’re working on a new homepage design right now, and we’re planning a “Beaver Builder in the Wild” section featuring user sites. Any chance that we could use Pyragraph there?

Sure, you’re welcome to put Pyragraph there! Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks David. Out of curiousity, any new news on the post offsetting?

Hey David,

I’m following up to let you know that the Posts module now has an offset setting. Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Thanks,
Justin

Hello David,

It’s been quite a while since we’ve heard from you so we are going to mark this thread resolved. If you need anything further, please let us know!

Ben