Site broken on IE, looks great on Chrome

On a client site that I am converting, I have a nice looking version that was similar to their old layout.

I just got an email from him saying the site is broken. I pull up the site on my PC with IE8 (I think he is on a similar, maybe IE9), and sure enough the site looks nothing like what I thought I had.

Can you let me know how to fix this, or if it’s something that is fixable?

I will do a private reply with the site…

[Content Hidden]

Hi Bryan,

That actually looks to be a caching issue. If you have W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache (any caching plugin for that matter) installed, try clearing the caches and then refreshing the site. Let me know how it goes and we can go from there!

Best,
Billy

I did have W3 Total Cache installed, however it was not activated.

I uninstalled the plugin altogether, and got an error saying something about “advanced-cache.php” needing to be removed, so I did that also.

I refreshed on my IE browser again, and still not working.

I also have another site I just started building, and it’s showing some odd looking issues in IE as well.

Hmmm, would you mind sending me a login/password to where I can take a look? Feel free to send as a private reply.

Best,
Billy

[Content Hidden]

Thanks Bryan, we’re looking into this now.

Hey Bryan,

Is there any way we can get FTP access to this site? There appears to be something weird going on that we’ll need to investigate more. Just as a heads-up though, this isn’t directly related to IE, it appears to be non browser specific.

Best,
Billy

[Content Hidden]

Thanks Bryan, get back with you soon!

Hey Bryan,

Good news, you should be all fixed up! It definitely wasn’t an IE issue, rather, a W3 Total Cache issue to where it left code behind in .htaccess file that it shouldn’t have when you deleted it. You should be fine now and can even re-install W3TC. Let us know if you have any further issues!

Best,
Billy

Can you please let me know what the code is? I have two other sites that have similar strange occurrences, and one of them I know is using a different cache plugin.

And THANK YOU for helping me figure this out. I would have never thought to look in the htaccess file for anything like this.

The code will be in the .htaccess file and typically begin with something like # BEGIN W3 TOTAL CACHE, and will end with something similar. I would imagine it would be the same with any caching plugin. This should be a really rare occurrence and have to do with the actual caching plugin. Very weird indeed, but let me know how it goes with the other sites!

Best,
Billy

thanks for the heads up on that. I will check it.

However, it appears that the fix is not complete. I am not seeing any of the footer columns when I look at the page on IE8 on my PC. The footers do appear on the chrome version.

(I really hate that we have to design with IE8 in mind, but I still see corporate traffic using it)

Bummer, can I have you try a bit of CSS in the Theme Settings panel > Code > CSS:

.fl-page-footer-widgets { display: block !important; }

Yes! that worked!

awesome. thank you. It looks like that is a css snippet I will need to be using for most sites.

This has been a good exercise all around, and just makes me more aware that I have to be diligent in testing in the IE environment, no matter how much I don’t like that.

thanks again.

I’m glad that worked! We’ll be fixing that for the long-term here after we get done with more plugin development. We have big plans for the Beaver Builder theme, but really want to knock out more functionality with the plugin beforehand if that makes sense. Thanks again and apologies for any inconvenience!

Please, no apologies. I am excited to hear you have big plans, especially since I have been looking for a theme that has all-around easy design capabilities like this one. keep up the great work.

I think the theme will be powerful, but at the moment, the plugin is more powerful from the design standpoint and how quickly you can get a site designed.

Thanks for the kind words Bryan and enjoy!