We’ve just launched the new version of our main site and things look great (thanks, nice builder tool!) - but since updating to Beaver 1.7.5 (or maybe one of the other plugins) we’ve had some problems:
Espescially when working on the top images (like here: http://dolcevita.no/toppen-av-elba/ ) the images disappears and the updating hangs - but only if we have selected Landscape crop. This is our “standard” on this images to make images from different cameras look the same. It also worked in Landscape earlier, I believe before the last Beaver update.
Also, some pages don’t show correctly like this: http://dolcevita.no/10-pa-topp/ Sometimes but not always, none of the posts below the grey header show up.
Finally: The top menu in the browser where you can click “Page builder” often refuses to show up, so to enter the builder I have to go via the post list in the admin area.
I have tried to disable all other plugins and also to downgrade the Beaver from 1.7.5 to 1.7.4 and even to 220.127.116.11 without finding any probable cause. I’ve also played around with the theme settings that have caused some trouble previously (like Qode options > General > Always put content below header and …> Loading Animation and …> Smooth scroll) - makes no difference. And I’ve emptied the cache and tried 4 different browsers. No clear explanation.
All plugins, WP and browsers are latest versions - on Mac.
Now, setting those images’ cropping to None (or something other than Landscape) at least solves the problem saving them (and make them show up). The rest remains… a bit frustrating.
Ideas? Could it be some server problem…?
Do you think you can setup a copy of the site to a staging URL instead and we can check there? We might have you stop work on your site but we might not be able to check the site at all if that makes sense.
OK - I’ll do that.
It just turned out that the previous full (scheduled) backup wasn’t complete, but it should be in place tomorrow evening (GMT +1) - if the system will cooperate.
The instability there is caused by the use of a LiteSpeed server - could that be relevant for the Beaver behaviour issue we discuss too? Just in case… :o)
I could have sworn another user had this exact same issue before, I just can’t find the thread(missing the correct keyword). Can you check what permissions you have setup on /wp-content/uploads/bb-plugin/cache directory?
We’re always working on the site
Sure - I completed a full copy/backup during the night and will migrate it to an other server as soon as I’m home from work. Probably in place in 4-5 hours.
By the way, today I’ve asked our host to transfer dolcevita.no from the Litespeed server to a normal Apache server - just to reduce the number of (possible) sources for the issues we experience.
OK… Please tell the other guys as well:
We asked our host to move dolcevita.no back from the Litespeed server to a normal Apache server.
Result: Everything works, and everything that was slugish, halting, stalling etc now run smoothly.
Not even our host was aware of this (maybe strange), but almost just as interesting: On the Apache server - with php7 - the site loads 1 sec quicker (1,75 sec) than on Lightspeed (2,5-3 sec). Interesting since using Litespeed should make everything quicker. So: Advice people to avoid that.
…at least we know a Little more now: During the last six seeks we have investigated problems with weird behaviour, db backups not working, the bbuilder hanging etc, also trying on other sites and even a fresh wp installation. The only possible& common factor causing the problems has been the Litespeed server. Our final move was transfer dolcevita.no - the site with the most problems - back to a normal Apache server. All problems are solved. Nice!