Where do the images go if I import a template?

Hi there,

So I needed to export a page layout to another website of mine. I saved it as a template and exported it using wordpress. Then imported it on the new site and nearly everything looks the way it should. Pretty impressed.

But then I noticed - that despite all my images appearing in place, none of them show up in wordpresses ‘Media’ browser. None of the videos or images I uploaded for the template are there.

I’m not sure where the files are held but I ran into an issue where if I wanted to make a change or re-use that image again in a new module, I didn’t have the image file and had to reload it.

Any ideas?

Hey Jay,

I’ve already assigned another member of the team to assist your with your concern.

Ben

Hey Jay,

Yes, WP only imports images attached to a post. That is not the case with BB templates so you would need to upload them in the new install and replace throughout your layouts if the location is of importance to you - they remain in the site you exported the templates from. The images upon being imported into a new install also retain the old URL so if you would just like that to change for the new site, you can use a serialized search and replace tool which we detail here. Hope that helps!

Best,
Billy

ah, it remains on the old url? Because wordpress gives the o[ption when importing to ‘download images used’ so I thought it was importing them to my server?

Correct. Yes, that option only applies if you are importing a blog from another install as then it is importing actual posts.

Best,
Billy

Aah I see. That’s a shame!

The idea was to develop entirely on my site and then export certain templates to other sites.

Sorry about that, Jay, wish there was something we could do there. The export/import idea you have is totally fine though, unless of course, you really want the images to be available within the site you import to.

Best,
Billy

So how does Beaver Builder do it with their own templates? Do you ship the builder with images hidden somewhere in the plugin?

The same way actually. If you inspect the images, you’ll notice they are linked to our server.

Best,
Billy

It does too. I think what happened was that very early on when using the templating function, I did the whole ‘inspect element’ thing and I must have been sleep deprived or SOMETHING because up until just now, I was always under the impression that it got imported into my own servers’ folders.

Anyways, you’ve cleared it up, thank you for the great support (yet again!)

No worries, Jay, happy to help!