Why are font sizes defined in px rather than em or rem?

This is something I’ve been meaning to ask for a while, but it recently has become more of an issue.

I’m wondering what the logic is behind defining everything in px rather than em or rem. Defining in px means that, if we want different font sizes at certain breakpoints for responsive design, we’re having to redefine every font size again. This is tedious at best.

Obviously you can define html as px as use em or rem for breakpoints, but things like the Customizer interfere with that, as it defines headings and other elements in px and you end up chasing your tail trying to override those definitions.

Maybe I’m missing something here and I would gladly take any critique on my critique - I’m just hoping to get some insight/input on reasons, workarounds or other methods to make designing a bit easier…!

Hey Keith,

I’ve already assigned another member of the team to this thread.

Ben

Hey Keith,

That’s a great question! I think px/pt are easier for some people to understand, and since we don’t have the option to select the unit, we went with that. However, this has been a popular request, but it’s not yet on our internal roadmap. I don’t have an idea on ETA, but I have added it. Thanks for the feedback!

Justin

Thank YOU for the straightforward reply! It’s good to know it’s on the radar and, FWIW, I’m going to see what the WP dev team has to say about it - and see if I can contribute to making the Customizer work better for everyone.

Hey Keith,

Thanks for understanding and keep us posted!

Justin