Widgetized sidebar

Hi
I´d like to have a sidebar where I can place widgets - That depends totally on the theme, right?
Might seem like a silly question, but my theme doesn´t have any templates with sidebars. I think making them depends on using Visual Composer, which I have ditched in favor of the Beaver.
So - can I use the Beaver to place widgets in a sidebar, widgets that I can update via the widgets panel, widgets that then will be updated on all the pages or posts where the sidebar´s used?
Thanks,
Kjetil

Hey Kjetil,

Sorry but that won’t be possible. Anything under the Appearance > Widgets page will only be applied to a theme widget area, e.g., a sidebar. It’s pretty weird for a theme to not have a sidebar though. Do you think you could share temp admin access to the site so we can check? It might just be a setting that you’ve missed or something?

Ben

You just responded as I found out how.
Of course it’s possible, it’s just not that obvious. The way I’ve done it, without the composer, I had to make a custom widget area and then activate that one in the page’s own settings.
Works now.

Hey Kjetil,

That’s awesome! What I meant by ‘not possible’ was using BB’s sidebar layout to place widgets in which would get updated site wide, at least for now it isn’t. Anyway, glad you got it working and thanks so much for sharing your solution! :slight_smile:

Ben