I just recently purchased BB Pro and am trying to set it up on a multisite. The plugin works fine. The theme however, I can’t use at all. If I activate it on one of my sites, and try to load the page, the CPU usage on my server spikes to 98-100% and stays there. The site will not load at all in a browser at that point, it just hangs at “waiting for www.nameofmysite.com”, and never comes up.
The backend pages still work fine, e.g. the wp-admin pages, and I can switch back to my previous non-BB theme no problem. Then everything is fine again.
The other pages in my multisite (the ones not using the BB theme), still work fine the whole time, except being a bit slower due to the CPU usage.
I’ve disabled every single plugin on the entire site and tested, and get the same results.
The server is running on Amazon Web Services. It was on a t1.micro, which being an older instance type I thought may be the issue. I migrated everything to a t2.micro(the current generation), and tested again. I have the same problem.
In looking at the CPU usage, it looks like “php-fpm.bin” is what is using all the resources.
Anyhow, I’ve been troubleshooting this for a few days and am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the BB forums!
Do you mind sharing temp admin access as well as FTP access to the site in question so we can take a look? You can post the details here using the private reply option below.
Gotcha! What about just temp admin access to the WP site? Sorry, but this forum and email is the only type of support we offer.
I believe I solved the issue. It has to do with permissions. I’m using the Bitnami LAMP Stack(https://bitnami.com/stack/lamp) for my Amazon instance. By default, the
htdocs directory’s user/group is set to “
bitnami:bitnami”. However, WordPress uses the
daemon account. While digging through the error logs I found that the BB theme is attempting to create multiple subdirectories in various places, and is failing due to the permission being denied. It’s then generating further errors when trying to read those directories(that never got created). It quickly ballooned my error log to over 7GB.
To test my theory, I simply changed the group on the htdocs directory to “daemon”.
chown -R bitnami:daemon /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs
And then everything works fine.
You guys may want to consider checking write permissions ahead of time, e.g. when the theme is activated, and alerting the user of potential problems. Many of the less technical WordPress users out there wouldn’t be able to resolve this on their own.
Thanks for the detailed follow up and the suggestion! I think we can check permissions on activation and show a message if there is an issue. I’ll definitely look into that.