BB not working right

I have Beaver Builder on a site, and today I logged on and noticed that none of the layout I set up within BB is showing. My slideshow is gone, my columns are no longer in columns. It’s a mess. So I logged in and everything is up to to date. I disabled as many plugins as possible with no change.

So I go to the page and open page builder, and when I do that, the page comes up absolutely how it’s supposed to… except none of the content is editable. So at least I know the formatting is still there, I can only see it when I launch the page builder on the page. I can’t edit it. It won’t let me quit out of it either. It just sits there teasing me.

I’m really stuck now, because I can’t get the page to work, I can’t edit it, and I don’t know what else to do or why BB isn’t working. Help!

Hey Amy,

Thanks for posting! Do you mind sharing temp admin access to the site so we can check?

Ben

Sure, where do I send the login credentials?

Hey Amy,

Sorry for my hasty reply above. You can just post the access details here using the private reply option below. :slight_smile:

Ben

[Content Hidden]

Hey Amy,

I don’t know what happened to your site but a lot of WP Core files are missing. I’m going to post in a separate private reply a screenshot of those missing files. You might want to reinstall WP core. Just make sure you have a backup of your site before doing so.

Ben

[Content Hidden]

That is really weird. I noticed that my backups haven’t been running either.

Hey Amy,

Your backups are probably not running because of these missing files as well. These are WP core files, a lot of, if not all, plugins depend on one of those items. I’m pretty sure there is an option to safely reinstall WP under Dashboard > Updates but I would suggest taking a backup of the site first before doing so.

Ben

I actually did that once today already, hoping that would fix my problem.

I just did the update through the Dashboard with no change. I’m waiting on the hosting login so I can look there.

Ok, I manually reloaded all the WordPress files. Still not working.

I’m not sure what to do now - all my plugins are up to date. There are no plugins on this site that I don’t have on at least a dozen other sites, there shouldn’t be a conflict. And I deactivated many of them to test too.

Anyone still listening?

Hey Amy,

I just logged in to the site again and getting the same 404 errors. I tried reinstalling WP using the reinstall button but to no avail. Do you mind shooting FTP access details as well so we can take a look there too?

Ben

[Content Hidden]

And it had been working fine, I don’t know when it went off the rails. Nobody has been in there editing or doing anything.

Hey Amy,

I just went in to FTP and figured out you have an htaccess file inside the wp-includes folder which was most likely denying access to the files inside it. I renamed it with an invalid file type extension so it doesn’t work. You site is back to normal but you might want to get in touch with your hosting company and figure out why the file was there.

Ben

Thank you so much for all your help! The hosting is the client’s hosting at GoDaddy… not my choice, and it’s always had a hard time completing backups and running updates within ManageWP. Hopefully this fixes all my problems.

I appreciate all your help!

(I looked at the .htaccess file in the main directory… didn’t occur to me to check out the other directories.)

Hey Amy,

No worries! Maybe the hosting company placed that file there for reasons. Anyway, glad it’s all working now! Enjoy BB! :slight_smile:

Ben