Cannot get plugin to work / Nextgen issue

[Content Hidden]

Thanks, Rachel. Strangely enough, I was able to recreate it on Mac by using that text. I’m not sure why that would be causing issues, but at least I can test it now. I’ll let you know when I have a fix. Thanks for your patience!

Justin

Hey Rachel,

It looks like this text is causing the issue…

Lengths range from 6′-30′ and longer (check availability).

Specifically, the single quotes after 6 and 30. I’ve tested this in the WP editor as well and they come back as question marks after saving. The thing is, this is only happening on your server. I’ve tested on a number of different environments and that text saves without issues. So, the problem can be one of two things…

1. Something about your server.
  2. A plugin conflict.

Is it ok if I temporarily disable your plugins to test? I’ll try to be quick about it. Also, would it be possible to get FTP access to this WP install to do some testing?

Thanks,
Justin

[Content Hidden]

[Content Hidden]

Hey Rachel,

Do I need a last pass account to do that? If so, I don’t currently have one. You can post it here and I’ll delete it as soon as I get it, or you can create a temporary FTP account and delete that when we’re done. Let me know what you think.

Justin

[Content Hidden]

Thanks, Rachel! I’ll check this out now.

Justin

Hey Rachel,

After doing quite a bit of testing I found the issue, but unfortunately, it’s not something I can fix. The issue is that when special characters are inserted into the database, they are being changed which is corrupting the data we are trying to store. For example, the single quotes in this sentence aren’t standard single quotes…

Lengths range from 6′-30′ and longer (check availability).

We store our data the same way many other WordPress plugins and themes do (as serialized arrays), so this issue isn’t specific to us. Additionally, I’ve tested this on many other installs and it looks like yours is the only one that can’t handle it. I believe there must be something about your setup that’s different but I’m not sure what.

Can you possibly contact your host and tell them that the quotes in the sentence above are causing issues when saving to the database?

Sorry I don’t have a better answer. I really wish I did :frowning:

Justin

Thanks so much, Justin.

What an issue! I really appreciate you looking into this and getting to the bottom of it! I will try without the quotes now.

You’re welcome, Rachel! You can actually use quotes, just use ’ instead of ′ quotes.

Justin