Recommend shortcodes plugin?

Hi there all,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent shortcodes plugin?
Something that gives a few more UI possibilities for Beaver Builder that give it a few of the things it does’t have that for instance Divi theme does (counters / skill charts / filterable portfolio grid).

Basically I have tried things like Intense shortcodes - it’s great but it’s massive amount of files and I guess a lot of bloat. So something that is quite lightweight. I was wondering if anyone had some decent suggestions.

Where I am at is switching from custom coding themes to using Beaver Builder with something like Divi (or headway or eventually Genesis when I can figure that puppy out!). So I have gone from trying everything, to the point where I want a nice set of goto tools for every site build.

Any advise warmly recieved!

Many thanks
Paul

Hey Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch! While we don’t use shortcode plugins internally, I’ll leave this thread open in the event another user can offer some advice. One recommendation may be to do a quick google search to see what’s popular and what people are using in that arena.

Best,
Billy

Cheers Billy - What is Google sorry? (just kidding!)
Have an awesome weekend.

Love the plugin and the theme - great work guys.

Haha, no worries at all! You have a beaveriffic weekend! :slight_smile:

Hey Paul, I am in almost the same boat. Not with shortcodes per se but with wanting quality goto tools that allow me to get a site up fast. Beaver Builder and the Beaver Theme are it for me.

If a client needs something that combination cannot do, they are not the right fit for me :slight_smile: Because I KNOW that BB is always coming out with cool new stuff, like the subscribe module :slight_smile:

And some new designs from the contest soon :slight_smile: LOL!

Rock on, Dave

Hi Paul,

I’ve been researching this too and was going to go with Intense because it seems to have everything I need. I’ve been using some of the power themes on Envato and have decided to stop using them because they eventually become unsupported. I’m wanting lots of cool shortcodes, with animations, etc, like the themes I’ve been using, and Intense seemed to fit the bill.

What exactly was the issue with Intense. Is it compatible with Beaver? Does it slow it down noticeably?

You could try Shortcodes Ultimate, it’s one of the most popular and it’s free.

Steve

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the reply. It is quite amazing how Wordpress and the subsequent tools,themes and plugins have defined a career for so many people (what would our lives be without Wordpress - wha would the web be without it!).

Steve - I think my problem with Intense was the amount of files. I suppose it felt like there was going to be so much JavaScript ans css etc loaded I but 99% of it both redundant and present for potential conflicts with other scripts etc. massively impressed with how much intense pack in, but I think if I can find the time I might try learning how to make my own shortcodes instead. I don’t have frequent need for them. Things like skill charts and things like that really that I might have used elsewhere. Probably plugins for this with less baggage too I guess.

Thanks for answers everyone!

I just tried shortcode ultimate and it wouldn’t work. I did a search trying to see who in the forum is talking about shortcode plugins, if I find something I’ll let you know.

Thanks David. When you say Shortcode Ultimate wouldn’t work, what specifically happened. What’s the error message that you got, etc. Maybe BB can investigate this since it’s an extremely popular plugin.

Nothing happens. I click the button, it stays highlighted but the window to add the shortcode to the content doesn’t pop up.

David, that doesn’t sound like a BB problem. To use shortcodes in BB, you don’t use the Wordpress editor. You paste the shortcode into any module that has text, which is many of them.

With Shortcode Ultimate you insert shortcodes with their shortcode builder. The builder wont even come up. I guess I could build it using the Wordpress Editor on a different page, copy the shortcode and then paste it in. Sounds like more work than is necessary. But it is what it is.

So, I tried that. Here is the shortcode I used:

[su_row] [su_column size="1/2"][su_button url="http://example.com/forum/profile" background="#f55900" icon="icon: comments-o"]Edit Your Profile[/su_button] [/su_column]
[su_column size="1/2"] [su_button url="http://example.com/forum/profile" background="#f55900" icon="icon: comments-o"]Edit Your Profile[/su_button] [/su_column][/su_row]

The buttons rendered smaller than they should and they were on top of each other instead of side by side.

UPDATE: When I publish the page it looks fine.

What theme are you using? Justin at BB has helped me troubleshoot issues like that with shortcodes. There might be some css that needs to be added to the theme. Have you tried using it with the BB Theme. That’s your litmus test. If the problem persists with the BB theme then it’s probably something that the team at BB is going to need to fix.

I’m using the BB Theme. Did you see the update to my last response?

Hi there,

I have used Shortcodes Ultimate. You are right that the button doesn’t work when in the Beaver Biulder environment. I have the same issue. However the work around I used was to have another tab open with a draft post / page (not in Beaver) and create my shortcodes in there and then paste them into the builder. This worked for me. It’s not ideal, but I like this plugin (Ultimate) and I don’t want to use Intense. Whenever I have used Intense shortcodes I get the feeling there is so much to go wrong - something like 10,000 files. Seems it must add a lot of bloat to a site.

Cheers

Actually, in defense of Intense Shortcodes, you can decide which shortcodes to enable for your site, so that can cut down on the number of files considerably.

You can certainly tick the codes you want, but the plugin itself won’t delete 8000 of it’s 10000 files for instance, it will just load in to the editor the ones you can use.
I can’t imagine that each plugin has it’s owm JS and css file, unless the plugin does something quite cool like when you tick only a few shortcodes it generates a new static css and js file to keep load nice and light.
Maybe I should take another look.
Certainly the functionality it offered was really really good. I was thinking they must need an army of devs to keep it maintained.

If you go to Envato (codecanyon) you’ll see that the plugin is highly rated, very popular, the support is stellar, and people seem very satisfied as evidenced by their comments. That’s what I look for when making a choice of a plugin. It’s been out for a while and he is working hard to continually lessen its footprint and make it stable.

What I would worry about is a plugin that is free or that has few sales. If someone’s making a lot of money, then there’s an incentive to keep it updated, secure, optimized, constantly improving.

I have used Shortcodes Ultimate. You are right that the button doesn’t work when in the Beaver Biulder environment. I have the same issue. However the work around I used was to have another tab open with a draft post / page (not in Beaver) and create my shortcodes in there and then paste them into the builder. This worked for me. It’s not ideal, but I like this plugin (Ultimate) and I don’t want to use Intense. Whenever I have used Intense shortcodes I get the feeling there is so much to go wrong – something like 10,000 files. Seems it must add a lot of bloat to a site.

That’s exactly what I did and it seamed to work okay.